Thursday, July 1, 2010

Summer Rocks!


With the sudden entrance of what has finally become a sizzling summer, I have found myself caught up in all its respective pleasures--lazy mornings, swim lessons, dressing the baby in nothing more than cotton onesies, the fresh smell of new tomato plants, reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn with the kids, listening to our distant neighbor bagpipe Amazing Grace from his back porch, hot concrete under leathery feet, playing with long-lost cousins, local concerts in the park, watermelon by the bucketload, regular picnics, and lots of dazzling sunsets in the face of balmy wind.

In the process of taking extended family photos on Tuesday night:

I love watching the adults make fools of themselves to get the kids to smile.

My kids have relished in the goodness, and I have in turn savored their enjoyment. Truth is, my biggest goal as a mother this season has been to keep things around here as simple as possible. I have actually planned for us to be lazy, (sans media distractions, of course), so that all the summer magic can happen on its own without "plans" getting in the way. Some days have been more successful than others. . . , We did manage to finally landscape the backyard, and Pearly-Q and I did get away for a short Vegas stint to see Cirque du Soleil, but other than that, things around here have slowed way, way down . . .


It's just one way I love to celebrate all my exquisite freedoms.


Happy 4th of July, everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! In contrast to every other summer I have enjoyed, I made the mistake of signing my oldest up for swim team this year - which has disrupted everything I hope and dream of summer being. Weekly swim meets - daily(and early) practices. Ugh - if only she didn't love it so much. We just may have created ourselves a monster. Enjoy your lazy summers while they last... I'm still pining for mine.
    BTW, you (and baby) look beautiful in that last picture.

    ReplyDelete